CHEM120 OL, Week 2 Lab
OL Lab 2: Periodic Table/Ionic and Covalent Bonds
· Describe the structure and organization of the periodic table
· Classify elements of a family based on their location in the periodic table
· Distinguish metals from other element classes based on typical characteristics
· Use the flame color test to identify metals based on their position in the periodic table
· Explain valence electrons and oxidation state of a main group element to its position in the periodic table
· Describe the main trends among groups and periods for atomic properties
· Explain the causes on the atomic level for the main trends among groups and periods concerning atomic radii, ionization energy and electronegativity
· Describe the formation of ionic and covalent bonds
· Identify anions and cations
· Apply the octet rule
· Describe ionic lattice structure
· Draw Lewis dot structures
· Explain the formation of single, double, and triple bonds
· Distinguish between ionic compounds and covalent compounds
Have you ever wondered how atoms are held together? In this simulation, you will learn the basics about atomic bonding in ionic and covalent compounds, and how to distinguish those compounds experimentally. With all this knowledge, you will help your friend analyze two mysterious substances he received from an alchemist. By testing their specific physical properties, you’ll be able to identify the nature of the substances. Finally, you will learn how ions form lattice structures and how this influences the property of a compound.
Atoms can interact in many different ways, creating new compounds with unique properties. In the first mission of the Ionic and Covalent Bonds simulation, your task is to choose appropriate laboratory equipment to test the solubility and conductivity of the two substances. You will explore how these properties differ in ionic and covalent compounds.
In the second part of the Ionic and Covalent Bonds simulation, you will learn about the octet rule and how to apply this to building Lewis dot structures in a virtual drawing activity. You will see that there are many ways that covalent bonds can be formed, depending on the compound and electron configuration. You will also learn how to identify lone pair electron in a covalent bond.
In the last mission, your task is to determine the melting point of the two substances by using a melting point apparatus. You will explore how your results are connected to the ability of ions to form a lattice structure.
Part 1: Complete Labster lab Periodic Table of Elements: Get the table organized in time! (about 40 mins)
1. For each of the following elements, give another element in the same family (2 points)
2. In your own words, describe the term electronegativity
3. In your own words, describe the term ionization energy
Part 2: Complete Labster Lab Ionic and Covalent Bonds (about 40 mins)
Complete all activities and answer all questions within the lab and then complete the questions below:
1. Purpose: Describe in complete sentences and in your own words, the purpose of this experiment.
2. Observations: Record three observations from the simulation.
3. In your own words, explain the term Ionic bond
4. In your own words, explain the term Covalent bond
5. For each of the below, predict the expected ion each could become by giving the charges (2 points)
6. For each of the molecules below, determine what molecular shape you would expect
7. Reflection: Consider what you learned from this simulation. Reflect on three to four key concepts that you learned in this lab exercise. How could the lessons learned in this virtual lab relate to a real world situation in the community/world or your future career? Be specific in your answer (this should require 5-10 sentences).
Complete Periodic Table simulation
Complete Ionic and Covalent Bonding simulation
Complete lab report and answer questions
· Purpose (1 point)
· Observation (7 points)
· Questions (5 points)
· Reflection (2 points)
Complete all lab activities
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Quality Essay Help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Quality Essay Help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.