Top of Form
· Synthesize key concepts about social justice issues into a written critique.
In these critiques, you will be asked to engage in critical thinking by responding to a series of questions related to the textbook chapter reading. These questions cover key concepts and important topics, and may require response(s) to a change agent exercise or case study or both. This is a place for you to apply and integrate new concepts, terminology, and theories.
In a maximum of four double-spaced-pages, respond to the following prompts:
1. Before reading Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail” (see Resources below), read the letter (see Resources below) that a clergyman wrote to MLK that prompted MLK to write his own letter in April 1963 while jailed for leading a peaceful, nonviolent protest.
1. MLK’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail” contains often-repeated quotes, such as this one:
1. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny…We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed…For years now I have heard the word “Wait!” This “Wait” has almost always meant “Never.” We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that “justice too long delayed is justice denied.”
1. How does this quote have relevance for each of us living in the United States today?
1. Provide an example that illustrates his point that “justice too long delayed is justice denied.”
1. King describes two types of law, just and unjust; how does he define each?
1. Try to describe an example of an unjust law (or prescribed practice) in the present or recent past you might feel compelled to disobey as a moral obligation or to arouse the conscience of the community.
1. Imagine doing so “lovingly.” What might that look like?
1. What might be the consequences of defying an unjust law or unjust practice?
1. What is your favorite quote from MLK’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail”? How do you connect it to your life, a contemporary social issue, or your professional aspirations?
1. Explain the differences between prejudice, discrimination, and oppression. Give an example of each that is different from examples provided in the book or situations described in the “Prejudice or Discrimination?” activity. Resources that may be helpful include the following:
1. Privilege, as an expression related to social justice, has a very specific meaning. This concept was introduced in Chapter 4. To further promote a working understanding of “privilege,” view the videos linked below. The last video ends by asking, “What’s your privilege?” Answer this question by describing your standpoints/group memberships/social identities that accrue you privilege and those that diminish privilege, e.g., privilege based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical ability, mental health, social class, and religion. How have your experiences with privilege shaped your life or the lived realities you have experienced?
1. What distinguishes a hate crime from other types of crimes? What is fueling the hatred that leads to hate crimes? What could be done to change society’s perceptions of hate crimes, address the causes, and prevent their occurrence? Check out the links below to learn more.
Your paper must follow these guidelines:
· Format your paper using APA style. Organize your paper using headings and subheadings to distinguish each response.
· Provide a reference page. At a minimum, the textbook will be included on your reference page. As the primary source for responding to the questions, it should also be cited throughout the body of the paper.
· Name your critique document using the following pattern:
Chapter number, semester and year, your last name; for example, “Ch 3 FA20 Garcia.”
Carpenter, C.C.J., Durick, J.A., et al. (1963, April 12). Statement by Alabama Clergymen. [PDF]:
MLK Jr Letter from Birmingham Jail, AL Clergyman Letter to MLK.pdf
King, Jr., M.L. (1963, April 16). Letter from a Birmingham Jail. [PDF]:
MLK Jr Letter from Birmingham Jail.pdf
Bottom of Form
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Details & Information
Assessment due dateNo due date
Grading rubricThis item is graded with a rubric
Originality ReportSafeAssign enabled
DescriptionAligned Objective: Synthesize key concepts about social justice issues into a written critique. | Purpose: In these critiques, you will be asked to engage in critical thinking by responding to a series of questions related to the textbook chapter reading. These questions cover key concepts and important topics, and may require response(s) to a change agent exercise or case study or both. This is a place for you to apply and integrate new concepts, terminology, and theories.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Quality Essay Help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Quality Essay Help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.